SSPI-WISE - Women in Space Engagement
SSPI-WISE is pleased to participate in the upcoming SSPI Topic Campaign: Eternal Orbit: Leveraging the enduring value of geosynchronous orbit in the new space economy.
TIME AND DATE CHANGE: Join us on September 7, 2023 @ 10 AM EDT as we hear about some of the most current GEO projects from women in industry who are working on those projects.
This topic campaign is underwritten by Hughes Network Systems. Register today! https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvd-ytrj4iEtbljqBjScfYrloB3q2oxxNT
7:00 AM PDT || 10:00 AM EDT || 11:00 AM ADT and BRT || 3:00 PM BST and WAT || 4:00 PM CEST || 7:30 PM IST || 11:00 PM
SSPI-WISE is a group that welcomes all women members from the space & satellite industry. We meet once per month, usually on Zoom, to discuss goals, plan new events and, of course, have fun!
SSPI is fortunate to have the talented Elizabeth Tweedie pen a blog on our behalf. Check out the blog here!
Missed the May 2023 Open Meeting?
At the May 2023 Open Meeting of SSPI-WISE, Kati Dahm, Head of Marketing at Loft Orbital, gave a presentation on Building Your Personal Brand. Kati Dahm is an accomplished marketing professional and currently holds the position of Head of Marketing at Loft Orbital. With over a decade of experience, she has successfully driven impactful communications and marketing strategies for both public and private companies. Watch the meeting on-demand below!
On December 16, 2020, women from throughout our industry gathered at the kickoff cocktail hour for a new Space & Satellite Women’s group within SSPI. The initial discussion centered around the question of a name. We had a number of suggestions, such as “Women’s Space Odyssey,” “Space & Satellite Women” and “Women in Space.” This last one led naturally to “WISE” which stands for “Women in Space Engagement.” #SSPI-WISE.
- Engaging women in the space and satellite industry through STEM outreach, structured mentor programs and partnerships with other women’s groups
- Elevating the profile of women in the industry by encouraging balance on conference panels, recognizing companies that actively promote women, profiling women through social and other media and encouraging nomination of women for awards, including the Hall of Fame, 20 Under 35 and Mentor of the Year SSPI awards
- Networking and social media campaigns to spread the word about SSPI-WISE and make sure all women in the industry, from young professionals to women in the midst of long careers have a chance to participate and contribute
SSPI-WISE now has online working groups set up for each of our main goals to let members connect and make progress on projects. Each working group is accessible to any woman member of SSPI:
- STEM Outreach: Aiming to engage more women in the space & satellite industry through coordinated STEM outreach and partnerships with other groups
- Social Media: Working to spread the word about SSPI-WISE and make sure all women in the industry have a chance to participate and contribute
- Elevating Women: Encouraging balance on conference panels, recognizing companies that actively promote women, profiling women through social and other media and encouraging nomination of women for awards, including the Hall of Fame, 20 Under 35 and Mentor of the Year SSPI awards
- Networking: Engaging women from throughout the industry through social media and live and online events
- Mentorship: Working to develop structured mentorship programs to assist women attempting to enter and thrive in the industry
*Working Groups are open to women members of SSPI only. For the inaugural year, any woman who wishes to serve on SSPI-WISE Working Groups may email Tamara Bond-Williams for complimentary membership and working group assignment.
Our Leadership 2023-24
Chairwoman: Debra Facktor, AIRBUS U.S. Space and Defense, Inc.
President: Jomya Lei, ViaSat
Vice President: Vinitha Lalvani, AvL Technologies,
Secretary: Alix Wright, Speedcast
Working Group Chairs:
- Elevating Women: Divya-Kala Bhavani, Dhruva Space, Negar Feher, Toni Lee Rudnicki, TLR Consulting LLC
- Mentoring Chair: Wendy Newman, Strategic Voice
Co-Chairs: Silvia Borges, Hispasat, Andrea Maleter
- Social Media: Vinitha Lalvani, AvL Technologies, Rosario Toxqui, Comtech, Elisabeth Tweedie, Definitive Direction, Helen Weedon, Radical Moves
- STEM Outreach: Justyna Kosianka, Ursa Space Systems, Audrey Puderbaugh, Iridium, Heidi Ann White, Université de Montréal
- Sustainment & Infrastructure: Jennifer Hoil, ST Engineering iDirect, Melissa Orlick, Intellian Technologies, Manal Tadros, Boeing