SSPI-WISE - Women in Space Engagement
SSPI-WISE thanks Hughes for supporting their work by enabling complimentary membership for women who serve on SSPI-WISE working groups. Through the month of December, women who would be interested in joining SSPI and serving on a WISE Working group can complete this application and return it to Tamara Bond-Williams.
The next SSPI-WISE meeting is on August 25, 2022, @ 11:00 AM EDT NOTE: The registration link is for all meetings July through December 2022. Watch this space for information about each meeting.
11 AM EDT | 8 AM PDT | 4 PM BST & WAT | 5 PM CEST | 7 PM GST | 8:30 PM IST | 12:00 AM +1 JST
SSPI-WISE is a group that welcomes all women members from the space & satellite industry. We meet once per month, usually on Zoom, to discuss goals, plan new events and, of course, have fun!
Missed the July Meeting?
The July 2022 meeting of SSPI-WISE featured a presentation on The Art of Negotiation by Transition Coach Julie Kramer. Watch the presentation on demand below!
Missed the April Meeting?
At the April 2022 meeting of SSPI-WISE, the Mentoring Working Group invited the women of space and satellite to a special presentation by Mary Frost, CEO at Power to Change Us and a member of the Space & Satellite Hall of Fame (inducted in 2009) on “Effective Presentation Skills.” Watch the presentation on demand below!
On December 16, 2020, women from throughout our industry gathered at the kickoff cocktail hour for a new Space & Satellite Women’s group within SSPI. The initial discussion centered around the question of a name. We had a number of suggestions, such as “Women’s Space Odyssey,” “Space & Satellite Women” and “Women in Space.” This last one led naturally to “WISE” which stands for “Women in Space Engagement.” #SSPI-WISE.
- Engaging women in the space and satellite industry through STEM outreach, structured mentor programs and partnerships with other women’s groups
- Elevating the profile of women in the industry by encouraging balance on conference panels, recognizing companies that actively promote women, profiling women through social and other media and encouraging nomination of women for awards, including the Hall of Fame, 20 Under 35 and Mentor of the Year SSPI awards
- Networking and social media campaigns to spread the word about SSPI-WISE and make sure all women in the industry, from young professionals to women in the midst of long careers have a chance to participate and contribute
SSPI-WISE now has online working groups set up for each of our main goals to let members connect and make progress on projects. Each working group is accessible to any woman member of SSPI:
- STEM Outreach: Aiming to engage more women in the space & satellite industry through coordinated STEM outreach and partnerships with other groups
- Social Media: Working to spread the word about SSPI-WISE and make sure all women in the industry have a chance to participate and contribute
- Elevating Women: Encouraging balance on conference panels, recognizing companies that actively promote women, profiling women through social and other media and encouraging nomination of women for awards, including the Hall of Fame, 20 Under 35 and Mentor of the Year SSPI awards
- Networking: Engaging women from throughout the industry through social media and live and online events
- Mentorship: Working to develop structured mentorship programs to assist women attempting to enter and thrive in the industry
*Working Groups are open to women members of SSPI only. For the inaugural year, any woman who wishes to serve on SSPI-WISE Working Groups may email Tamara Bond-Williams for complimentary membership and working group assignment.
Our Leadership 2022-23
Chair: Debra Facktor, AIRBUS U.S. Space and Defense, Inc.
Vice Chair: Jomya Lei, ViaSat
Recording Secretary: Alix Wright, Speedcast
Working Group Chairs:
- Elevating Women: Negar Ferar, Momentus, Kaitlyn O’Hara, EchoStar and Susan Saadat, EtL Systems
- Mentoring: Silvia Borges, SpaceBridge Inc., Andrea Maleter, Wendy Newman, SpaceLink
- Networking & Swag:
Toni Lee Rudnicki, TLR Consulting LLC, Saharnaz Safari, SpaceRyde, Manal Tadros, Boeing
Chair Emeritus: Kerstin Roost, ST Engineering iDirect
- Social Media: Vinitha Lalvani, AvL Technologies, Rosario Toxqui, Comtech Satellite Network Technologies Corp. and Elisabeth Tweedie, Definitive Direction
- STEM Outreach: Justyna Kosianka, Ursa Space Systems, Natalia Larrea Brito, Euroconsult and Audrey Puderbaugh, Iridium
- Sustainment & Infrastructure: Jennifer Hoil, ST Engineering iDirect, Melissa Orlick, Intellian Technologies