SSPI offers Professional Memberships, as well as Student Memberships, to individuals working in or interested in pursuing a career in satellite research, construction, launch and operations. Professionals working in satellite communications, including both space segment and ground segment, form the single largest sector of our membership. But the Society also welcomes people pursuing careers in satellite-based imaging, GPS, space sciences, education, and other fields.
Some of the best-known names in the industry are long-time members of SSPI, including:
- James Van Allen, for whom the "Van Allen Belt" is named
- Sir Arthur C. Clarke, author and the first person to suggest the concept of geostationary satellites
- Eddy Hartenstein, co-founder and long-time CEO of DIRECTV
- Peter Marshall, former CEO, Keystone Communications
- John Puente, former Chairman & CEO of Orion Satellite Corporation and one of the developers of the demand assignment system